Forum

The Problem With KJV Onlyism  

RSS

OG-onlygrace
(@og-onlygrace)
27/01/2018 11:17 am  

The blog entry The Problem With KJV Onlyism struck a cord. Our Church has had a problem with this in the past. The Pastor was legalistic and insisted that the KJV was the only version to read. I spoke to another member about this who told me that we should read the Bible in the language it was written (ie KJ English of the 1600's). Explanations that it was written in Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic elicited a blank stare. The Pastor left a few months ago and we now have one that preaches Grace. But we lost half our congregation. I can't mention the name of the Church but ask for all to be in prayer for us, God knows who we are.

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@running_admin)
Member Admin
27/01/2018 12:02 pm  

Thanks for posting @og-onlygrace! This is a new forum and you are our real first post so congratulations.

I grew up in a church much like yours - it was a split-off and very legalistic. Some years later the church split again, over the issue of women pastors and head coverings. Believe it or not, the church is still going today (although it is called something different). It is very small - maybe 10 members or less - but the congregants are still holding on to the belief that they possess "the truth".

Our church rarely mentioned grace. Instead, it was pounded into our heads that we needed to live as perfectly as possible. Any slip-up would separate us from God. Our goal (which some in the leadership claimed to have achieved) was to live sinless lives. There was no distinction made between "venial" and "mortal" sins. Sin was sin.

I hope that you will read my book when it comes out later this year because it specifically addresses the dangers of the type of church that you describe. I am glad that you are finally hearing the message of Grace because without this message we can easily fall into legalism and despair.

ReplyQuote
OG-onlygrace
(@og-onlygrace)
27/01/2018 2:31 pm  

"Any slip-up would separate us from God. Our goal (which some in the leadership claimed to have achieved) was to live sinless lives."

You hit it again! The Pastor claimed to not have any sin in his life, and also said to listen to him and read the Bible, don't read commentaries or other books.

ReplyQuote
Share: