Notifications
Clear all

The Problem With KJV Onlyism  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

OG-onlygrace
(@og-onlygrace)
27/01/2018 11:17 am  

The blog entry The Problem With KJV Onlyism struck a cord. Our Church has had a problem with this in the past. The Pastor was legalistic and insisted that the KJV was the only version to read. I spoke to another member about this who told me that we should read the Bible in the language it was written (ie KJ English of the 1600's). Explanations that it was written in Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic elicited a blank stare. The Pastor left a few months ago and we now have one that preaches Grace. But we lost half our congregation. I can't mention the name of the Church but ask for all to be in prayer for us, God knows who we are.

gp4Jesus liked
Robert
(@running_admin)
Member Admin
27/01/2018 12:02 pm  

Thanks for posting @og-onlygrace! This is a new forum and you are our real first post so congratulations.

I grew up in a church much like yours - it was a split-off and very legalistic. Some years later the church split again, over the issue of women pastors and head coverings. Believe it or not, the church is still going today (although it is called something different). It is very small - maybe 10 members or less - but the congregants are still holding on to the belief that they possess "the truth".

Our church rarely mentioned grace. Instead, it was pounded into our heads that we needed to live as perfectly as possible. Any slip-up would separate us from God. Our goal (which some in the leadership claimed to have achieved) was to live sinless lives. There was no distinction made between "venial" and "mortal" sins. Sin was sin.

I hope that you will read my book when it comes out later this year because it specifically addresses the dangers of the type of church that you describe. I am glad that you are finally hearing the message of Grace because without this message we can easily fall into legalism and despair.

gp4Jesus liked
ReplyQuote
OG-onlygrace
(@og-onlygrace)
27/01/2018 2:31 pm  

"Any slip-up would separate us from God. Our goal (which some in the leadership claimed to have achieved) was to live sinless lives."

You hit it again! The Pastor claimed to not have any sin in his life, and also said to listen to him and read the Bible, don't read commentaries or other books.

gp4Jesus liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@running_admin)
Member Admin
12/07/2020 2:28 pm  

This will be the new location for comments on my post about KJV Onlyism. Please feel free to start new discussions in this form as well! Thanks for being apart of our community.

gp4Jesus liked
ReplyQuote
Kjvo3n1
(@kjvo3n1)
14/07/2020 9:11 am  

I would interject that the problem is always with people and not that we have an inerrant perfect word of God.  If we don't have a perfect word of God, then God didn't do His job.  Isn't it His job to make sure we have it?  Satan's job is to cause doubt in His word.  While Satan changed one little word, the word that God said still remains true unto this day.

ReplyQuote
Kjvo3n1
(@kjvo3n1)
14/07/2020 9:13 am  

We preach grace all day long.  I am in a discussion right now with a Seventh Day Adventist who believes you can lose your salvation by unrepentant sin.  He cannot or won't accept the fact that once Born Again into the family of God, we are permanently family. There is nothing we can do to not be our parents child.  We can get punished, but we are still a child of God.

ReplyQuote
Kjvo3n1
(@kjvo3n1)
14/07/2020 9:23 am  

Newer translations are built upon faulty manuscripts.  There are mainly 5 of which the main three are Vaticanus, Sinaiticus, and the Alexandranus.  The Textus Receptus is based upon roughly 5200 manuscripts that make up the Majority Text. God has left a large paper trail to confirm His word. The world wants us to take a few corrupt manuscripts and "correct" the majority.  "yea, hath God said?  How many contradictions can there be in a Bible and still be God's word?

ReplyQuote
PDitto
(@pditto)
14/07/2020 9:40 am  

@kjvo3n1 just explain why these early manuscripts are faulty?  What sources do you use to determine they are faulty?  

ReplyQuote
PDitto
(@pditto)
14/07/2020 10:03 am  

@kjvo3n1pleae explain your definition of contradiction!  issues I have using my critical thinking include the following!  Can you exactly translate word for word Hebrew, Aramaic or Koine Greek Into English?  Why does the 1611 KJV contain the Apocrypha if the translators were inspired by the Holy Spirit? I am over 60 years old and grew up reading and memorizing the KJV, so I am not critical of the KJV.  I do know that the JKV is very difficult to understand for many that are younger than me and they would not understand the message as written in KJV. For the younger generations, reading KJV is like a foreign language that they don’t know, exactly opposite of getting the word to the common man in his common tongue. I don’t say this to condemn but to raise the issues that are truly personal choices and not heresies!

ReplyQuote
TroyDrury
(@troydrury)
14/07/2020 1:09 pm  

There are only two possibilities related to the newer manuscripts that rely heavily on Vaticanus and Sanaiticus.  Either: 1) God is a liar and didn’t preserve his word to all generations; ; or 2) God has given us an uninterrupted line of scripture passed down to us in the Textus Receptus.  I don’t see how there is any other possibility, since the newly discovered codexes were lost for 1,500+ years.  If they’re reliable, then God did not allow Christians to possess his true words for most of church history.  Since we know God is not a liar, we can confidently rely on the scriptures that were passed down to us.  We can also confidently discard any newly discovered document claiming to be scripture.  

Kjvo3n1 and Mickey liked
ReplyQuote
wiscguy
(@wiscguy)
14/07/2020 1:23 pm  

@pditto The KJV translators were forced against their will to translate the Apocrypha. They placed it between the testaments as a separate volume instead chronologically within the OT. They didn't not believe it.

ReplyQuote
wiscguy
(@wiscguy)
14/07/2020 1:28 pm  

@pditto There are only 2 manuscripts that are supposedly the older ones. They have hundreds of changes, with many verses missing and they don't agree with each other. Their claim to oldness has not been verified since they had been locked up until recently. They were then found to be forgeries, discolored with coffee to make them appear old.

There are over 5000 manuscripts used to make the King James and they all agree with each other with few changes. Because there are so many, it is easy to determine which readings are correct. 

Mickey liked
ReplyQuote
gp4Jesus
(@gp4jesus)
14/07/2020 8:06 pm  
Posted by: @og-onlygrace

The blog entry The Problem With KJV Onlyism struck a cord. Our Church has had a problem with this in the past. The Pastor was legalistic and insisted that the KJV was the only version to read. I spoke to another member about this who told me that we should read the Bible in the language it was written (ie KJ English of the 1600's). Explanations that it was written in Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic elicited a blank stare. The Pastor left a few months ago and we now have one that preaches Grace. But we lost half our congregation. I can't mention the name of the Church but ask for all to be in prayer for us, God knows who we are.

I concur w/you and church’s actions. I pray God’s hand stays on your church. 

Legalism is a slap in the face to all the those persecuted or killed by the Catholics both the known reformers and the so-many unknown going back to July 1415*and maybe earlier. So is KJ only-ism. 
*Jan Hus, burned at the stake. His execution triggered the Hussite wars. The Bohemian laity  took on the Catholic Church and won. 

ReplyQuote
gp4Jesus
(@gp4jesus)
14/07/2020 8:14 pm  
Posted by: @running_admin

Thanks for posting @og-onlygrace! This is a new forum and you are our real first post so congratulations.

I grew up in a church much like yours - it was a split-off and very legalistic. Some years later the church split again, over the issue of women pastors and head coverings. Believe it or not, the church is still going today (although it is called something different). It is very small - maybe 10 members or less - but the congregants are still holding on to the belief that they possess "the truth".

Our church rarely mentioned grace. Instead, it was pounded into our heads that we needed to live as perfectly as possible. Any slip-up would separate us from God. Our goal (which some in the leadership claimed to have achieved) was to live sinless lives. There was no distinction made between "venial" and "mortal" sins. Sin was sin.

I hope that you will read my book when it comes out later this year because it specifically addresses the dangers of the type of church that you describe. I am glad that you are finally hearing the message of Grace because without this message we can easily fall into legalism and despair.

Curious about your book. Also...

Legalism is a slap in the face to all the those persecuted or killed by the Catholics both the known reformers and the so-many unknown going back to July 1415*and maybe earlier. So is KJ only-ism. 
*Jan Hus, burned at the stake. His execution triggered the Hussite wars. The Bohemian laity  took on the Catholic Church and won. 

ReplyQuote
gp4Jesus
(@gp4jesus)
14/07/2020 8:23 pm  

Troy, Kjvo3n1, pditto, wiscguy: all of you need to brush up on either KJV history, Reformation history, modern translation source documents or all the above. 

Your posts contain between some or many errors and misconceptions. So many in fact I’ll leave you to your homework 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: